Main Menu

24th Edition

The 24th Canadian Chess Challenge will be hosted by the Nova Scotia Scholastic Chess Association for the very first time in history!

ciad měle fŕilte

You are visitor number
Online Visitors Counter
Online Visitors Counter

About SMU

Saint Mary's University (SMU) is located in Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. The campus is situated in Halifax's South End and covers approximately 40 acres. (http://www.smu.ca)

The school is best known for having nationally lead programs in Business, Astronomy and International Development Studies and, as well, one of the best football and Men's hockey programs in Canada.

In 2012, St. Mary's University will host the Canadian Chess Challenge. The beautiful McNally Auditorium will be the playing venue for the tournament on Sunday and Monday.

On Saturday, the Blitz tournament and the Banquet Dinner will be held in the Loyola Conference Hall. For housing the 120 provincial champions and their families, Loyola Residence, Rice Residence and Vanier Residence will be used.

Registration forms for the accommodations, meals and all activities are available in the "Coordinators" section of the main menu.

Detailed Schedule for all activities for the CCC 2012 can be found under the "Schedule" section of the main menu.


More detailed History of St. Mary's University

Founded in 1802 by Reverend Edmund Burke, Saint Mary's is the second oldest English-speaking and first Roman Catholic initiated university in Canada. With meager resources Burke initiated instruction for young men at Glebe House, located on the corner of Halifax’s Spring Garden Road and Barrington Street.

The Roman Catholic church founded St. Mary's University at halifax, Nova Scotia 1840. In 1841 the Nova Scotia Legislature bestowed the degree granting charter to Saint Mary’s and eleven years later granted the University formal legal status. After a great deal of uncertainty, in 1913 the Christian Brothers of Ireland were asked by the Archdiocese of Halifax to direct the college and academic programs. With this change of leadership the University's reputation thrived as a Liberal Arts Institution and expanded its undergraduate programs, with the most notable being the Faculty of Commerce in 1934 (now known as the Sobey School of Business), which was the first of its kind in Canada. In 1940 the Upper Province of the Society of Jesus (the Jesuits) was invited to succeed the Christian Brothers as both administrators and faculty.

The next 30 years would see the University flourish under the Jesuit supervision, with such advancements as the formal recognition of the "college" as a University in 1952 and purchasing the first computer in Atlantic Canada (a Royal McBee LGP-30) in 1959. In 1970 the Jesuits formally incorporated the University under the "Acts of Incorporation" which gave all administrative and academic duties to the Board of Governors and Academic Senate. Saint Mary's University was established by the Saint Mary's University Act, 1970.

Since then the University has continued expansion of its academic programs with the most notable being the offerings of doctoral level studies in Astronomy and Business and the accreditation of the business school with the AACSB (Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business). At the same time the University has expanded its campus facilities with noted additions of the Burke-Gaffney Observatory in the 1970s and the Sobey Building in 1998. In 1992, the Faculty of Commerce was renamed the Sobey School of Business, after Frank H.Sobey, founder of Sobeys.

In March 2005, Saint Mary’s started the “Science Building Renewal Project” which was estimated to cost $25.5 million. This project is part of the larger project the “University’s Strategic Directions and Academic Plan” which was developed by meeting with Students, Faculty and local Citizens in order to meet both the needs of the University and local community over the next decade.


Sponsors